Brandon J. NewlandsOz Adiyaman / 0 Comments /
Mr. Newlands joined the firm in August, 2014 as a Senior Associate in the Employment and Commercial Litigation Practice. He graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park with a degree in Political Science in 1996 and the University of Baltimore School of Law in 1999 where he was a Junior Fellow with the Center for International and Comparative Law.
Prior to joining Charlson Bredehoft Cohen & Brown, Mr. Newlands primarily worked for several prestigious Washington Metropolitan Area based firms handling a wide variety of matters in all stages of litigation, including products liability, premises liability, transportation, railroad, construction and professional liability defense (medical and legal malpractice).
Mr. Newlands takes pride in his hard work ethic coupled with his ability to communicate effectively, providing compassionate and dedicated representation for his clients. Over the course of the past decade, Mr. Newlands has gained considerable litigation trial experience, including first chair jury trial experience. Mindful of the benefits of alternative resolution mechanisms, Mr. Newlands also has a successful track record resolving complicated matters through mediation and arbitration. Based on his years of experience, Mr. Newlands applies a practical, yet aggressive approach to matters in litigation to achieve the best results for his clients. His representative matters include:
- Obtained verdict on behalf of Elevator Manufacturer in two week product liability trial in United States District Court for District of Columbia. (Stelma, et al. v. Otis Elevator Co., et al. – 1:01-cv-01128 RJL).
- Dismissed claim for legal malpractice by Motion to Dismiss in United States District Court for the District of Maryland. (Gelzer v. Smith, et al., 8:11 – cv – 02728 – AW).
- Obtained defense verdict in negligence claim brought in Montgomery County Circuit Court.
- Dismissed property owner from premises liability lawsuit in Prince George’s County Circuit Court.
- Authored District of Columbia and Maryland Coverage opinions for Commercial Insurance Carriers in general liability and professional liability insurance policies.
Mr. Newlands is admitted to practice in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia state and federal courts. In addition, Mr. Newlands is on the Council of Court Excellence (CCE) Board of Directors and a member of the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association (MWELA), the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (VTLA), and the District of Columbia Trial Lawyers Association (DC-TLA).